Monday, March 3, 2008

The numbers are in….

The baby sugars win....but not for long. Looks like we are going to be adjusting our diets and hyping up the exercise. S tested high on two of the four blood draws on Friday (her fasting levels were great though).

First I would like to say that it is just not natural put your body through what this test required. S would never, (1) not eat a sensible breakfast, (2) slam 100 cc’s of sugar, and (3) lay around for three hours straight after ingesting that much sugar. That just isn’t her. How can that really tell you anything about how her body REALLY works?

Tonight is garbage night and therefore a perfect time for pitching all the bad things we have in the house, which so far is only a carton of ice cream. The frustrating part is that I am not sure I know anyone with a better understanding and execution of diet than S. We already eat whole-wheat pasta (and only eat it less than once a week), we already have high fiber everything, and we don’t really ever have much in the house in the snack category. A snack to S is a bowl of fruit.

My family has a high rate of diabetes in it and I am shaped just like those that have it. So, I could really benefit from getting on the regulatory life of low sugar, low carb, and life maintenance. So, S you are not alone, I’m jumping on this wagon too!

11 comments:

NotesFrom2Moms said...

aww shucks... I'm sorry... but in the long run it isn't a bad way to be eating. I hope it proves painless and leads maybe to some new recipes.

*G* said...

Way to tackle the numbers together! Sorry you have add one more thing to your 'to do' list right now, but I'm sure these next couple of months will go by very quickly. Hopefully, once the boy arrives, the numbers will go right back where they are supposed to and you won't have to monitor things so closely. Thinking positive thoughts for you two as you make the home stretch!

Carey said...

Sorry you've got the baby sugars too!! The biggest challenge for me has been breakfast - I want something quick & easy. I don't want to spend 30 min. making breakfast!! As long as I eat fewer carbs and enough protein with any meal, I am fine though. Happy finger pricking!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I had random blood sugar stuff a few years ago and even though giving up all the yummy stuff (see: ice cream) isn't fun, I have never felt better than when I was being low-carb/high protein girl, and eating small meals more often.

Chris K said...

It sucks!!!!! But like I mentioned before, it is doable. It doesn't seem fair though....they took me off all juice and fruits, how is that healthy, you know? Anyway, hang in there you two!! xo

Dr. Grumbles said...

Good luck with the sugar showdown.

Anonymous said...

Erin, you're such a good mom and partner to Sara. I'm sorry about the numbers, but you're completely right that they can't possibly be a good test of how Sara's body handles things regularly. Poo on tests. I'll take your ice cream though.

kwillmetta said...

So sorry to hear S has entered my world, at least temporarily... If I had only one thing to suggest, it would be including more beans in your diets. They really have helped me balance the glucose scale. Good carbs, protein, and fills you up! And the musical component goes away…mostly. :)

E. from Pot o' Gold said...

That's really frustrating that you eat healthy and this still happens.

Erin, you are very nice and supportive to your partner. :)

Ali said...

Gest diabetes, boo.
Glad to hear you are going to tackle it together. It can only help.

CanadianMama said...

Erin, you are so supportive. It sounds like it has nothing to do with your lifestyle, it's probably just a pregnancy thing!
Good luck ladies, I'm thinking about you!