Thursday, February 14, 2008

Is it the 3rd trimester already?

I know that the 3rd trimester technically started at 27 weeks. I, however, refused to cede until this week - out of principle. It just doesn't seem fair that the 2nd one is so short. It's the one where you are supposed to feel the best... my 1st trimester ick didn't even leave until week 16, so it hardly seems fair that 10 weeks later I have to give up the good-feeling portion of the pregnancy!

E and I have both noticed that over the past couple of weeks I've grown more tired again. I'm also having more and more difficulties with my tummy - acid reflush, nausea etc... Last night I was a bit ill. So, I can't help it: I'm just going to have to scream "IT'S NOT FAIR!!!" I think that stuff should start right before baby is born because 12 weeks seems like a long time....

I am also not particularly appreciative of all of the well-meaning folks that like to remind me that it's only going to get worse from here on out. Gee, thanks. I am now feeling like I have so much to look forward to! It sounds like the next three months are going to be a blast!

I now have a new symptom. When Tot doesn't move as much, I am struck with fear. Fear that something is wrong with him. Fear that we won't make it to the end of this pregnancy. Fear that I've done something to hurt him in there. I'm working on my rational self and reminding it that some days I'm more tired too... he's probably growing lots...and that every movement counts... just because he isn't walloping me every few seconds doesn't mean something is wrong... I know that much of this is just first pregnancy/pregnancy unfamiliarity syndrome. I'm not this neurotic (usually.)

So far, Rational Self has managed to stay in control. Good thing we have an appointment this evening b/c Rational Self is getting rather tired.

9 comments:

kwillmetta said...

Relax, tatter boy does sleep in there too, ya know.

FYI, I really LIKE Rational "S". She is bold, she has multi-point plans for success and is rather good with statistics. She may be getting tired, but she is oh so plucky. Don't count her out! She is a winner every time.

E. from Pot o' Gold said...

The third trimester is not that bad. Don't worry. You get a bit more tired and uncomfortable, but you are finishing your nesting, having baby showers!, and getting ready to finally meet your little Tot!!!!!

sandra said...

I remember less movement in the 3rd trimester - because the little one is not so little... I also remember the fear you talk about.

Hang in there!! And enjoy!

:)

Anonymous said...

He's probably not moving so much cos he's running out of room!

I hope tri 3 is not too icky. Not long to wait now....

Ali said...

I don't think you have to be miserable in your last trimester. I meet plenty of women that are not. People say crazy things to pregnant moms.

MaMaMia said...

Ali is right, some people feel they can say anything to a pregnant woman. IGNORE IT! I don't remember being miserable during my 3rd trimesters, sure it get's tougher to get around, you will get tired. You seem like you are pretty in-tune with yourself, don't change that, just listen to your body. I know what you mean about fear. There is a guideline--your midwife would probably know this-- of how often you should feel your baby move. If you need a quick reassurance, drink some juice or something to perk him up.

MaMaMia said...

BTW, how did your appointment go?

Anonymous said...

Happy 3rd Tri! It seems like just yesterday...

Holly said...

Congrats on the milestone. I hope the rest goes as quickly as you want it to go!
And I promise not to tell you how much worse the 3rd trimester is. wink.