Monday, December 10, 2007

Time to reconsider that stay at home mom job...

Ok, not really at this point (first of all, money aside, since we can't legally get hitched in any way, both of us need to work in order to have insurance...). However, today, we started looking into daycare. We found a place across the street from my work (and E works very close to me), that looks great and we're headed over for our first daycare tour. (This place comes highly recommended, so getting on a waiting list is the way to go.)

We can (barely) afford this place, but I started thinking about our plans to have two children, and I can't figure out how on earth we will pay for two children in daycare in a couple of years. This stuff is expensive!

I'm sure it's not as big of an issue as it feels right now; my pregnancy hormones have been doing some crazy emotional things to me lately (and to E, poor thing!!) It is actually exciting to start looking and getting a feel for what is out there, and I can certainly see why it makes financial sense to have someone stay home with the kids (not to mention emotional and bonding sense too!) Perhaps down the road it's something that would make sense for us too.

9 comments:

Keri said...

Shoot! My last comment got eaten by blogger...
Good luck with the daycare interview today. Maybe even interview a few places just to validate how amazing this one is.
Can you girls do 2nd parent adoptions in WI?

kwillmetta said...

Sometimes daycares have a "multiple kid” discount for families with more than one child in their care. Ask them if they offer such a plan.
Also, definitely have a back-up daycare plan. The "dream" sitter everyone recommended to my sister for Skeeter turned out to be more of a nightmare. A month into being back to work, they had to make other arrangements. Fortunately Grandpa C is retired and was available to be daycare for the winter. Win-win situation now, but it could have been a lot worse.

Unknown said...

Keri -

We will be interviewing a few places for sure! This is just the first one, and we heard it's hard to get into...

As far as second parent adoptions: I'm not entirely sure how the law works out, but our lawyer has assured us that we will be able to gain equal legal protections for our child, which is (of course) what we care about.

Sandra said...

Wow. I'm so used to CA law (most places there give insurance to same-sex partners, from what I've heard) that I (ignorantly) thought other states were doing more of that. That just...well, sucks.

tbean said...

An article in today's Washington Post on the cost of raising a child sent me into a similar panic today. I think for all of us overly-planning-ahead types (especially the kinds who have to work so hard and pay so much $$ to get a child in the first place) are even more prone to this kind of panic. But, in the end, I figure, we'll figure it out. We always do. I didn't know how we could afford our wedding, our vacation, our grad. schools, our new car....fill in any blank that equals a big purchase. And yet, somehow, we always find a way to make it work. So, it's just about trusting that, I guess.

Hope you like the daycare visit and it isa warm and friendly place for your family!

MaMaMia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I wonder what the nanny (nanner for a male?) rate is? See what you can find out from kwillmetta what her Grandpa C arrangements are. If he is balding, paunchy, and reads at a third grade level he and I might be able to form a union....mature au'pear-shape rather than coltish au'pare-svelt Let me know how I might help. Good Luck. Love you. Dad

Evillage said...

There is one path we plan to work with in the legal system in order to best protect our family. We'll do our best. Other families have been there and done that in this state and we thank them for paving the way for us on this one!

kwillmetta said...

I believe officially Grandpa C is receiving a modest $100.00 a week for his services, plus B ad E supply all the diapers and formula. Unofficially I think Grandpa is expecting the title of "Best Friend, Ever.” Unfortunately for him, Auntie K already has that title. :)