Monday, November 12, 2007

Paving the way

Sometimes it really strikes me that this world has so much more to learn about, especially when it comes to what it defines as “alternative lifestyles and families”. Sure the term alternative bugs me. Sure I am irritated that I have to educate so many people about how my family is normal. I said a few posts ago that my approach is to inform people about something (i.e. lesbians having babies) and then give them the space to let it sink in, talk to others, and come to a conclusion about how they feel about it. I (as all same-sex couples do) field some of the strangest questions in the spirit of helping this defunked world overcome their personal and societal hurdles. But, if the mission is to breakdown barriers, I have to be ok with answering those questions and giving that space.

As I embark on the lactation induction experiment it is becoming more and more clear to me that I will have to work to pave the way again. As worldly and knowledgeable as the MBC and our MWs are, they seem to be stumped by the protocol for inducing lactation in a non-bio mom of two mom family. The MW that initially asked me if I was going to b/f (breastfeed) seemed to have a decent grasp on what that would entail. However, at our appointment a week ago a different MW and the Lactation Expert (LE) were timid, nervous, and very unsure about what and how this would all actualize. GEEEEZ! You guys are the ones that are supposed to know. They gave me a freaking website to visit…..thanks but I’ve already been there!

Well, now I know. I have been to the website, read everything, been to other websites, and am building my own protocol. I will be the first non-bio mom of a two mom family to attempt this in the care of the MBC and so I will therefore be the one to determine the what, where, how, and why. I will educate them on what to do with two moms breastfeeding. I am not under the impression that my protocol will not need to be altered or refined throughout the process and I also understand that it may not work at all. I just need someone to be confident in the attempt (besides you S, you are awesome and it is because of you we can give it a good go) and so that person will be me.

Watch out MW and LE, you just unleashed a determined, self-reliant, knowledgeable, resourceful, non-bio mom looking to breastfeed. Prepare to learn!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woah! Stand back and weep! You're SO gonna show them that they should have tried harder!

Anonymous said...

Attagirl!

Keri said...

Way to go! Sometimes you need to pave your own path - they'll catch on and hopefully be able to help others in the future.

R said...

AWESOME!! WAY TO GO!!!

Unknown said...

Most awesome!

Holly said...

Good for you! It is unfortunate that sometimes we need to be a little over-informed so that we can pave the way. But hopefully when a more timid non-bio mom comes along, these MWs, etc. will have all the answers because of you!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Fortunately for the world here comes Erin! I cannot think of a better source/resource for enlightening everyone just what the expanded definition of "nurturing" encompasses. Sorry that you have encountered some frustrations, but I know that you will cause lightening to strike the dumb with awesome results. Go get 'em, Erin!
Love you and your drive and determination. Dad

tbean said...

You go girl! And, can I say, by the way that you have the CUTEST dad ever. Can I adopt him???
I hear you though, it gets TIRING to be a trailblazer. If one more person mentions a turkey baster when I tell them about our at-home try, I think I will scream!

kwillmetta said...

(Imagine music notes here)
"Have I ever told you your my hero....!"
I love the way you don't just stand by and let the world shape you, you work to shape the world. I understand it may be tiring to always be the first, but you do do-it so well. Keep it going.

Anonymous said...

Good luck paving the way! Sounds like you'll teach the MWs a thing or two in the process...